Professional development for middle school class and science teachers
What do middle school educators need to know to teach the Waldorf science curriculum? How can you go about teaching science lessons in a phenomenological way—and how can this approach help to develop new capacities of thinking in your students?
An anthroposphically-based exploration into Waldorf middle school science, this workshop is designed for sixth, seventh, and eighth grade class teachers and science teachers, as well as homeschooling parents working with a Waldorf curriculum.
Through lecture, discussion, and demonstrations you will
- Address important themes in middle school science, including topics in physics and chemistry
- Discover and practice new ways of teaching lessons in a phenomenological way
- Learn how the Waldorf science curriculum supports the developing adolescent
Gary Banks currently teaches high school math and science at the Rudolf Steiner School of Ann Arbor, where he is also the high school faculty chair. Gary is also a presenter in the Teaching Sensible Science course and has taught in a number of teacher training programs and foundation studies courses. From 1993-2001, he took a class from first to eighth grade at the Denver Waldorf School, then worked as a high school science teacher at High Mowing School and a class teacher at Pine Hill Waldorf School before moving to Michigan. Gary earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in aerospace engineering and worked as a research engineer on the NASA Space Station project before entering teaching. He completed his MEd at Antioch New England Graduate School.
Saturday, June 27: Classes run from 9am-5:30pm, with time for breaks and lunch.
Sunday, June 28: Classes run from 9am-1pm, with mid-morning break.
$360 (includes all materials and non-refundable $30 registration fee)
Discount Options (Options 1-3 may not be combined)
1. Volume Discounts for Schools
- If a school sends between 2-4 attendees, that school’s invoice will reflect an overall 20% discount.
- If a school sends 5 or more attendees, that school’s invoice will reflect an overall 30% discount.
These discounts do not apply to Waldorf Weekend registrations, as all Waldorf Weekend registrants receive a regular $85 discounted rate if that Waldorf Weekend registration is an add-on to another course.
Qualifying for a volume discount is a two-step process:
- Step One: Schools should submit a volume discount form, listing all teachers/staffers the school intends to pay for and the title/s of their chosen course/s and/or workshop/s.
- Step Two: Each teacher/staffer listed on the volume discount form completes an individual registration form. Teachers/staffers who do not complete this final step of submitting an individual registration form are not considered registered.
Schools will be invoiced in July, based on actual attendance. A non-refundable fee—as specified on the registration form—applies to any canceled registration.
2. Combined Offerings
- 20% discounts on subsequent registrations (of equal or lesser value) will automatically appear on your registration form when you register for more than one course and/or workshop. (Exception: Waldorf Weekend, which offers an $85 discount when selected as a subsequent registration.)
3. Sunbridge Family
- Current Sunbridge program students receive a 50% discount on 1 or more registrations.
- Sunbridge program alumni receive a 15% discount on 1 or more registrations.
Discount instructions will appear on your registration form after you answer questions about your Sunbridge background in the Participant Profile section. Accounts must be in good standing.
4. Canadian Dollars
- Payments made in CAD will receive a 25% discount off the full price in US dollars. (Instructions will pop up on your registration form when you indicate you are paying in Canadian currency.)
- This discount will be applied after any other applicable discount is made.
Please contact Barbara Vitale, Admissions and Summer Coordinator, at email@example.com or 845-425-0055 x20
Sunbridge reserves the right to make faculty substitutions when necessary. See registration form for refund policy.