Professional development for Waldorf teachers and home school parents
This course offers you an invaluable opportunity to focus entirely on your upcoming fourth grade school year in five full days brimming with discussions, presentations, practical activities, and the arts.
With the insights of anthroposophy, gleaned through a daily look at child development focusing on your class’s age group, you will get to know the fourth grade child in depth as they step into a more objective relationship to learning. Under the guidance of a master class teacher, you’ll discover ways to enliven your teaching and how to approach the blocks so that they may meet the fourth grader in a deep and meaningful way. There will be time and space to consider and hone your skills in such practical matters as main lesson books, block planning, projects and activities, and classroom management.
In addition to inspiration and guidance which will support your teaching throughout the year, you’ll gain many invaluable opportunities for building connections among a community of parallel colleagues from across the country, to carry with you into your teaching.
Your week will be chock-full of such key fourth grade topics as:
- Working with mythological story content for fourth grade literature
- Building skills in language arts
- Teaching local geography
- Discovering the world of fractions
These subjects will be supported by explorations in art, music, and movement, giving you practical tools to take into your school year.
Handouts relevant to your week will be provided to you upon your arrival on campus. Grade-specific resource materials useful for your year, including poems, songs, stories, and main lesson book ideas, will be provided to you electronically.
NOTE: This course is taught with the expectation that you have a background in Waldorf Education.
Leslie Lew is currently fifth grade class teacher at the Housatonic Valley Waldorf School where she has worked as a class teacher since 2003. Leslie spent four years on a kibbutz in Israel, where she worked in the children’s house. After studying nursing for two years at the Ichilov Medical Center in Tel Aviv, she completed her studies in elementary education at the Kibbutzim College of Education. She completed her Waldorf training in 1999 at the David Yellin College of Education and was hired as the English teacher at the Adam Waldorf School in Jerusalem, where she also taught handwork. In 2002, she moved to Connecticut with her family and worked as an assistant at My-Las Treehouse, a Waldorf-inspired daycare in Redding, before joining Housatonic Valley. In her free time, Leslie enjoys spending time with her family (including her three children who are all HVWS graduates), reading, gardening, and traveling.
Your course also includes visual art with Kelly Beekman, music with Jordan Seavey of Green Meadow Waldorf School, and movement with Will Crane.
If you have not had a formal Waldorf teacher education and want to learn more about the foundations and fundamentals of Waldorf Education, you may be interested in our introductory Waldorf Weekend workshop which takes place the weekend immediately preceding your grades course. Should you wish to further expand your 4th grade knowledge, you may also be interested in our skills-based workshop, Crafts in the Early Grades, which begins the Friday evening immediately following your grades course and concludes that Sunday afternoon.
Sunday, June 21: Optional campus tour: 5:30-6pm; registration: 6-7pm; orientation and your first class: 7-9pm
Monday, June 22-Thursday, June 25: Classes begin each day at 8-8:30am and run through 5:30-6pm, with time for lunch and short mid-morning and mid-afternoon breaks.
Friday, June 26: Classes begin 8-8:30am and end between 12-1pm, with a mid-morning break.
$860 includes all materials and non-refundable $75 registration fee
Discount Options (Options 1-3 may not be combined)
- Volume Discounts for Schools
- If a school sends between 2-4 attendees, that school’s invoice will reflect an overall 20% discount.
- If a school sends 5 or more attendees, that school’s invoice will reflect an overall 30% discount.
These discounts do not apply to Waldorf Weekend registrations, as all Waldorf Weekend registrants receive a regular $85 discounted rate if that Waldorf Weekend registration is an add-on to another course.
Qualifying for a volume discount is a two-step process:
- Step One: Schools should submit a volume discount form, listing all teachers/staffers the school intends to pay for and the title/s of their chosen course/s and/or workshop/s.
- Step Two: Each teacher/staffer listed on the volume discount form completes an individual registration form. Teachers/staffers who do not complete this final step of submitting an individual registration form are not considered registered.
Schools will be invoiced in late July, based on actual attendance. A non-refundable fee—as specified on the registration form—applies to any canceled registration.
- Combined Offerings
- 20% discounts on subsequent registrations (of equal or lesser value) will automatically appear on your registration form when you register for more than one course and/or workshop. (Exception: Waldorf Weekend, which offers an $85 discount when selected as a subsequent registration.)
- Sunbridge Family
- Current Sunbridge program students receive a 50% discount on 1 or more registrations.
- Sunbridge program alumni receive a 15% discount on 1 or more registrations.
Discount instructions will appear on your registration form after you answer questions about your Sunbridge background in the Participant Profile section. Accounts must be in good standing.
- Payments made in CAD will receive a 25% discount off the full price in US dollars. (Instructions will pop up on your registration form when you indicate you are paying in Canadian currency.)
- This discount will be applied after any other applicable discount is made.
Please contact Barbara Vitale, Admissions and Summer Coordinator, at email@example.com or 845-425-0055 x20
Sunbridge reserves the right to make faculty substitutions when necessary. See registration form for refund policy.