For class teachers, handwork teachers, and home-schooling parents.
If you are looking to enliven your teaching by incorporating more creative activities, this is the workshop for you! Through practical activities that are engaging to do and beautiful to behold, participants will explore how artistic hands-on projects can strengthen and support the Waldorf curriculum in grades 1-4. Approaching the curriculum of each grade, and including seasonal and festival activities, you learn several craft projects and the necessary skills to teach them to children.
We will use materials from the three kingdoms of nature (animals, plants, and minerals) to create objects that help to foster a deeper understanding of and relationship to the world around us and invoke a sense of appreciation and competence.
In this workshop, you will:
- Work with different natural fibers and materials, including wet felting with wool fibers in the first two grades
- Explore curriculum-related projects, such as house building, spinning, and weaving in third grade, and making dioramas, goose quill, and natural ink in fourth grade
- Discuss different ways of working creatively: demonstration and group and individual projects, as well as open-ended versus guided projects
- Create projects for the classroom and for the home, such as window transparencies
- Learn ways in which you can create useful objects using watercolor paintings
- Have time to share projects and to discuss safe classroom practices
- Explore how to enhance your classroom space and to create handmade teaching aids
Judit Gilbert is an accomplished fiber artist specializing in plant-dyed, needle-felted wool pictures depicting fairy tales and scenes from nature. Her artwork can be seen on her website, woolpictures.com. Judit has been involved in Waldorf Education for over 28 years in various capacities, including as a class teacher at Green Meadow Waldorf School where she wove many hands-on projects into the curriculum. She has been a co-director of the Fiber Craft Studio and teaches form drawing at the Spring Valley Eurythmy School. Judit earned a certificate in Waldorf Education from Emerson College (UK), a Eurythmy diploma from Eurythmy Spring Valley, and a BA in Eurythmy Education from University College of Eurythmy in Oslo, Norway.
Saturday, June 27: Classes run from 9am-5:30pm, with time for breaks and lunch.
Sunday, June 28: Classes run from 9am-1pm, with mid-morning break.
$360 (includes all materials and non-refundable $30 registration fee)
Discount Options (Options 1-3 may not be combined)
1. Volume Discounts for Schools
- If a school sends between 2-4 attendees, that school’s invoice will reflect an overall 20% discount.
- If a school sends 5 or more attendees, that school’s invoice will reflect an overall 30% discount.
These discounts do not apply to Waldorf Weekend registrations, as all Waldorf Weekend registrants receive a regular $85 discounted rate if that Waldorf Weekend registration is an add-on to another course.
Qualifying for a volume discount is a two-step process:
- Step One: Schools should submit a volume discount form, listing all teachers/staffers the school intends to pay for and the title/s of their chosen course/s and/or workshop/s.
- Step Two: Each teacher/staffer listed on the volume discount form completes an individual registration form. Teachers/staffers who do not complete this final step of submitting an individual registration form are not considered registered.
Schools will be invoiced in late July, based on actual attendance. A non-refundable fee—as specified on the registration form—applies to any canceled registration.
2. Combined Offerings
- 20% discounts on subsequent registrations (of equal or lesser value) will automatically appear on your registration form when you register for more than one course and/or workshop. (Exception: Waldorf Weekend, which offers an $85 discount when selected as a subsequent registration.)
3. Sunbridge Family
- Current Sunbridge program students receive a 50% discount on 1 or more registrations.
- Sunbridge program alumni receive a 15% discount on 1 or more registrations.
Discount instructions will appear on your registration form after you answer questions about your Sunbridge background in the Participant Profile section. Accounts must be in good standing.
4. Canadian Dollars
- Payments made in CAD will receive a 25% discount off the full price in US dollars. (Instructions will pop up on your registration form when you indicate you are paying in Canadian currency.)
- This discount will be applied after any other applicable discount is made.
Please contact Barbara Vitale, Admissions and Summer Coordinator, at email@example.com or 845-425-0055 x20
Sunbridge reserves the right to make faculty substitutions when necessary. See registration form for refund policy.