Professional development for Waldorf teachers and home schooling parents
In this workshop, grades 1-8 class and subject teachers will receive instruction in the basics of how to create beautiful chalkboard drawings and how to approach Main Lesson book drawings across the Waldorf lower and middle school curricula. Regardless of your artistic background, you’ll leave with valuable skills, new-found confidence, and ideas for projects to bring to your class.
Using curricular themes, we will cover:
- Useful techniques for drawing with chalk
- Applying perspective drawing techniques to illustrations
- Employing geometry and proportion
- Drawing the human figure
- Methods for teaching children how to lay out a page
NOTE: This workshop is taught with the expectation that you have a background in Waldorf Education.
Steve Simonak is currently seventh grade class teacher at Brooklyn Waldorf School. Prior to coming to Brooklyn in 2016, Steve was a longtime faculty member at Hawthorne Valley Waldorf School; during his 26 years there, he served as a class and high school teacher, middle school math and arts teacher, and Council of Teachers chairperson. Before becoming a Waldorf educator, he was a teacher in New York City. Steve who holds a BFA in Painting from Pratt Institute, received his Waldorf Teaching Certificate from the Alkion Center (for which he is a contributing faculty member), and has training in Foundation Studies from Antioch. Steve’s hobbies include medieval Christian painting, New York State history, gardening, birdwatching, and bird photography.
Saturday, July 18: Classes run from 9am-5:30pm, with time for breaks and lunch.
Sunday, July 19: Classes run from 9am-1pm, with mid-morning break.
$360 includes all materials and non-refundable $30 registration fee
Discount Options (Options 1-3 may not be combined)
1. Volume Discounts for Schools
- If a school sends between 2-4 attendees, that school’s invoice will reflect an overall 20% discount.
- If a school sends 5 or more attendees, that school’s invoice will reflect an overall 30% discount.
These discounts do not apply to Waldorf Weekend registrations, as all Waldorf Weekend registrants receive a regular $85 discounted rate if that Waldorf Weekend registration is an add-on to another course.
Qualifying for a volume discount is a two-step process:
- Step One: Schools should submit a volume discount form, listing all teachers/staffers the school intends to pay for and the title/s of their chosen course/s and/or workshop/s.
- Step Two: Each teacher/staffer listed on the volume discount form completes an individual registration form. Teachers/staffers who do not complete this final step of submitting an individual registration form are not considered registered.
Schools will be invoiced in July, based on actual attendance. A non-refundable fee—as specified on the registration form—applies to any canceled registration.
2. Combined Offerings
- 20% discounts on subsequent registrations (of equal or lesser value) will automatically appear on your registration form when you register for more than one course and/or workshop. (Exception: Waldorf Weekend, which offers an $85 discount when selected as a subsequent registration.)
3. Sunbridge Family
- Current Sunbridge program students receive a 50% discount on 1 or more registrations.
- Sunbridge program alumni receive a 15% discount on 1 or more registrations.
Discount instructions will appear on your registration form after you answer questions about your Sunbridge background in the Participant Profile section. Accounts must be in good standing.
4. Canadian Dollars
- Payments made in CAD will receive a 25% discount off the full price in US dollars. (Instructions will pop up on your registration form when you indicate you are paying in Canadian currency.)
- This discount will be applied after any other applicable discount is made.
Please contact Barbara Vitale, admissions and summer coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 845-425-0055 x20
Sunbridge reserves the right to make faculty substitutions when necessary. See registration form for refund policy.