Open to everyone, including current and prospective early childhood educators, parents, grandparents, and caregivers.
Join us for a wondrous journey! In this comprehensive course, you’ll explore the essential elements of Waldorf early childhood education. Through the guidance of a highly experienced Waldorf early childhood educator, you’ll delve into child development; learn about rhythms, transitions, and the cycle of the year; explore the importance of play; examine the inner development of the teacher; experience circle time activities, lessons in handwork, art, and movement, and the essentials of a morning in a Waldorf early childhood setting; and develop a true practical understanding of Waldorf early childhood education. A perennial Sunbridge summer favorite, this rich and extensive course has launched many early childhood careers.
Lisa Miccio (lead) teaches kindergarten at The Waldorf School of Garden City and also sits on the Sunbridge Board of Trustees. Prior to joining the Garden City faculty in 2017, Lisa was on the faculty of Green Meadow Waldorf School for a dozen years. As Green Meadow, she taught kindergarten and parent and child classes, served as a co-chair of the early childhood section, director of early childhood admissions and family programs, and was a member of the Collegium, the Collegium Committee, and the Board of Trustees. Lisa’s teaching experience also includes working at Mountain Laurel Waldorf School, Dayspring Community School, and, during her 2016-17 sabbatical, teaching and mentoring in the Kathmandu (Nepal) Waldorf Kindergarten. She holds a BA in English from the College of Charleston, an MS in Elementary Education from CW Post, Long Island University, and an MS in Waldorf Education from Sunbridge College.
Your course also includes puppetry with Motria Shuhan of Acorn Waldorf School. Music specialist TBA.
Students who took this course previously had this to say:
~ Lisa is one of the greatest teachers I’ve ever come into contact with.
~ Lisa’s just wonderful. Her way of guiding a group is so inspiring, as is her attention to detail and her respect for each individual experience.
~ Lisa has a beautiful presence and she models so well what we all aspire to.
~ Lisa is amazing. I want to provide some constructive criticism, but I just have nothing to offer.
~ I have never met a teacher who in five days would be able to change a group of strangers in such a profound way.
~ The entire course was so nourishing and fulfilling. It gave me more than I ever expected.
~ This course was fantastic!
~ I can’t pinpoint a highlight because it was all so perfectly planned and delivered.
~ An amazing mix of hands-on experience, interactive group work, and lecture content.
~ This course was a blessing. I will be becoming a lead this year. Not only am I walking away with tools in my pocket, but with a growth and awareness in myself that I was not expecting.
~ Amazing. This is one of the best courses I’ve taken in my life.
~ I am beyond grateful.
If you want to learn even more about the foundations and fundamentals of Waldorf Education, including early childhood and on through high school, you may be interested in our Waldorf Weekend workshop, which begins the Friday evening immediately following the conclusion of your course and runs through Sunday afternoon.
Sunday, June 14: Optional campus tour: 5:30-6pm; registration: 6-7pm; orientation and your first class: 7-9pm
Monday, June 15-Thursday, June 18: Classes begin each day at 8-8:30am and run through 5:30-6pm, with time for lunch and short mid-morning and mid-afternoon breaks.
Friday, June 19: Classes begin 8-8:30am and end between 12-1pm, with a mid-morning break.
$890 includes all materials and non-refundable $80 registration fee
Discount Options (Options 1-3 may not be combined)
1. Volume Discounts for Schools
- If a school sends between 2-4 attendees, that school’s invoice will reflect an overall 20% discount.
- If a school sends 5 or more attendees, that school’s invoice will reflect an overall 30% discount.
These discounts do not apply to Waldorf Weekend registrations, as all Waldorf Weekend registrants receive a regular $85 discounted rate if that Waldorf Weekend registration is an add-on to another course.
Qualifying for a volume discount is a two-step process:
- Step One: Schools should submit a volume discount form, listing all teachers/staffers the school intends to pay for and the title/s of their chosen course/s and/or workshop/s.
- Step Two: Each teacher/staffer listed on the volume discount form completes an individual registration form. Teachers/staffers who do not complete this final step of submitting an individual registration form are not considered registered.
Schools will be invoiced in late July, based on actual attendance. A non-refundable fee—as specified on the registration form—applies to any canceled registration.
2. Combined Offerings
- 20% discounts on subsequent registrations (of equal or lesser value) will automatically appear on your registration form when you register for more than one course and/or workshop. (Exception: Waldorf Weekend, which offers an $85 discount when selected as a subsequent registration.)
3. Sunbridge Family
- Current Sunbridge program students receive a 50% discount on 1 or more registrations.
- Sunbridge program alumni receive a 15% discount on 1 or more registrations.
Discount instructions will appear on your registration form after you answer questions about your Sunbridge background in the Participant Profile section. Accounts must be in good standing.
4. Canadian Dollars
- Payments made in CAD will receive a 25% discount off the full price in US dollars. (Instructions will pop up on your registration form when you indicate you are paying in Canadian currency.)
- This discount will be applied after any other applicable discount is made.
Please contact Barbara Vitale, admissions and summer coordinator, at email@example.com or 845-425-0055 x20