Honoring the Past • Celebrating the Present • Envisioning the Future
You are cordially invited to Sunbridge Institute’s 50th Anniversary Weekend Conference—our 2017 Waldorf Teachers Conference and Golden Anniversary celebration rolled into one inspiring event!
FRIDAY EVENING, NOVEMBER 10
6:30-7:30pm Light Reception
7:30-9pm Presentation: “People, Programs, and Impulses: The Waldorf Institute, Sunbridge College, and Sunbridge Institute Through the Decades” with Signe and Christopher Schaefer and others
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 11
7:45-8:45am Registration & Continental Breakfast; Register for Afternoon Workshops
9am-12:45pm Keynote Addresses and Panel Discussion
“Higher Education and Spirituality” with Robert McDermott, PhD, President Emeritus and Professor of Philosophy and Religion, California Institute of Integral Studies; former President, Sunbridge College Board of Trustees and Co-Founder, The Barfield School of Sunbridge College
“The State of Waldorf Education,” with Linda Williams, PhD, Class Teacher and College Co-Chair, Detroit Waldorf School; Waldorf Institute alumna
Keynote Panel Discussion with
• Robert McDermott
• Linda Williams
• Keelah Helwig Kindergarten Teacher and Early Childhood Chair, Waldorf School of Garden City, and Sunbridge College alumna
• Susan Howard Co-Director, Sunbridge Early Childhood Teacher Education
• Douglas Sloan Professor Emeritus, Teachers College, Columbia University, and former Master’s Program Director, Sunbridge College
• George McWilliam Core Faculty, Sunbridge Elementary Teacher Education
• Moderated by Stephen Sagarin Core Faculty, Sunbridge Elementary Teacher Education
plus Singing with Jana Hawley Director, Sunbridge Elementary Teacher Education, and Sunbridge College alumna
1:30-2:00 Defined by Adversity: Reflections on Werner Glas (Founder of the Waldorf Institute and Sunbridge) by Ian Glas
2-2:15 Dedication of the Star Magnolia tree, planted in memory of Werner Glas
2:30-5:30pm Workshops I and II
• Eurythmy with Brigida Baldszun
• Rhythmic Circle Games with Nancy Blanning
• Painting with Brigitte Bley-Swinston
• Campus Walking Tour with Leslie Burchell-Fox
• Eurythmy with Annelies Davidson
• Courage to Teach® with Cat Greenstreet
• History through Biography in the Middle Grades with Elizabeth Hall
• The Group Souls of the Honeybees and Corals: the Most Precocious in Cosmic Evolution and the Most Endangered with Gunther Hauk
• The Spiritualization of the Natural Sciences––THE Requisite for Further Evolution with Gunther Hauk
• Fiber Craft with Renate Hiller
• Waldorf Early Childhood in the World Today with Susan Howard
• Spacial Dynamics® with Jaimen McMillan
• Storytime with George McWilliam
• Speech with Barbara Renold
• Why Does Biography Work Matter? with Signe Schaefer
• Navigating Chaos: Maintaining our Balance in These Difficult Times with Christopher Schaefer
• Social Listening and the Inner Life of the Teacher with Ann Stahl
• Anthroposophy and the Western Esoteric Tradition: Bringing Alive the Mysteries with Ralph White
• Rudolf Steiner and the Art of Dying: The Journey of the Soul between Death and Rebirth with Ralph White
6:30-9:30pm Festive Dinner
Featuring entertainment with Stephen Sagarin and an auction of community highlights
Sunbridge reserves the right to make faculty/event changes as needed
COST / REGISTRATION
$75 for the entire weekend (including all meals and events from Friday evening’s reception through Saturday’s festive dinner). You may instead choose to register for the conference portion only (all meals and events from Friday evening through late Saturday afternoon) for a cost of $50 or Saturday’s festive dinner only for a cost of $25.
REGISTER NOW. Space is limited, and we anticipate this event will sell out.
Full refunds will be issued for cancellations made by October 27 (refunds will be issued December 1).
SPONSORSHIPS / ANNIVERSARY TRIBUTES
For our friends who would like to help make this event possible, we are offering a wide range of sponsorship opportunities, including five different tiers of Sponsorship Packages. We also invite you to purchase an Anniversary Tribute: a personal message placed in our event program book. Anniversary tributes may be submitted online; or, see this form for details on submitting a tribute via mail. We also invite you to add your support for our next 50 years by making a gift to our Annual Fund.
We are expecting a large turnout for this event and encourage you to secure your housing as soon as possible.
Campus housing, including Holder House dorm and local Home Stay accommodations, is secured directly through Threefold Educational Center
Sunbridge has blocked a number of rooms at special group rates at these nearby hotels:
- Quality Inn at the Spring Valley Market Place (behind Target, off Rte 59) is offering a limited number of rooms at $89. You must reserve one of these rooms by Tuesday, October 31, or they will be released to the public. Use code BN3YZ4 when reserving.
- Courtyard by Marriott Montvale (on Chestnut Ridge Road) is offering King bed rooms at $139.00. You must reserve one of these rooms by Friday, October 27, or they will be released to the public.
- Candlewood Suites in Nanuet is offering a limited number of rooms at reduced rates. To reserve one, you must call the hotel’s front desk (845-371-4445) and ask for the Sunbridge group rate.
A light reception on Friday evening and breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Saturday are included in the event. Meals will include vegetarian, vegan, and dairy-free options. Hot breakfast items will be available for purchase at Threefold Cafe should you wish to augment Saturday’s continental breakfast. The Cafe will also be open for Friday dinner and Sunday breakfast (pay-as-you-go).
For logistical questions about the weekend, please contact Penelope Voss at 845-425-0055 x20 or email@example.com.
For questions about sponsorships, anniversary tributes, or Annual Fund donations, please contact Tanya Corrin at 845-425-0055 X11 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ann and Jerry Raisch
Weintraub Project Services Company, LLC