Directions to Sunbridge Institute
285 Hungry Hollow Road
Chestnut Ridge, NY 10977
Sunbridge is located in the Village of Chestnut Ridge, NY (sometimes still known by its former name, South Spring Valley). The Institute is two miles north of the New York/New Jersey border, 11 miles west of the Mario Cuomo (Tappan Zee) Bridge, and 21 miles northwest of the George Washington Bridge, near the intersection of the Garden State Parkway and the New York State Thruway (Route I-87/287).
NOTE: When making your travel plans, please make sure to visit the websites listed below to double-check transportation schedules. Many routes have been eliminated or are in flux due to Covid, and the information posted here may not be entirely up-to date. Incoming students are welcome to contact Barbara Vitale at [email protected] for access to Sunbridge’s private Facebook group to connect with fellow commuters and perhaps make joint transportation arrangements.
By car, from the south
Take the Garden State Parkway north to Exit 172 (Grand Avenue), the last exit in New Jersey. Turn left at the bottom of the ramp, go under the overpass and turn right at the traffic light onto Chestnut Ridge Road (Route 45). Continue about two miles, through two traffic lights, across the New York State border and a third traffic light. Just past the first sign for Green Meadow Waldorf School on your left, turn left onto Hungry Hollow Road.
By car, from the north or east
Take the New York State Thruway (I-87) to Exit 14A (Garden State Parkway). Take the first exit (Red Schoolhouse Road), turn right at the stoplight onto Red Schoolhouse Road and go to the T-intersection at the end. Turn left onto Chestnut Ridge Road (Route 45), then take the first right turn onto Hungry Hollow Road, just past the Hungry Hollow Co-op.
As you go down Hungry Hollow Road:
- The Hungry Hollow Co-op is on the north corner of the intersection with Chestnut Ridge Road. Green Meadow Waldorf School is on the south corner.
- You will pass Green Meadow’s Kindergarten/High School parking lot, Green Meadow’s Oak House driveway, and the driveway for the School of Eurythmy, all on the left.
- The Main House, #285, a large white farmhouse building housing the Sunbridge offices, is the next driveway on the left. Brookside Building and Threefold Cafe are also here. The parking lot off this driveway is for very short-term parking only. There are two handicapped parking spots at the head of the driveway.
- The next left-hand turn is Orchard Lane, leading to the parking lot for Holder House dormitory. Visitors to the Main House and Brookside may park along Orchard Lane.
- 100 yards further on your right, opposite the entrance to the Fellowship Community, is the entrance to Threefold Auditorium.
By bus from New York City
- On weekdays, Coach USA (AKA Rockland Coaches or Red & Tan Lines) operates commuter buses to South Spring Valley from Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York City that make stops on Route 45 (Chestnut Ridge Road). Go to ticket windows 11-15 to purchase tickets and inquire about departure platforms. Bus #45, which operates only on weekday mornings and afternoons, will take around an hour to drop you off at the top of Hungry Hollow Road (this is a request stop; you must speak to the driver to be let off at Hungry Hollow). The one-way bus fare is around $20. If you must purchase on the bus, the bus drivers won’t accept large bills. Call (201) 263-1254 or visit www.coachusa.com for up-to-date schedules and fares.
- Return buses to Port Authority leave from the bus stop outside the Hungry Hollow Co-op, where there is a posted schedule. When the bus approaches, you must stand out on the curb and make yourself visible.
- Bus #11A will take an hour and a half to get you to the Spring Valley Bus Terminal, which is a 10-minute taxi ride from Hungry Hollow Road. The last bus leaves Port Authority around midnight. (Note: These buses will often not arrive by start time of our weekend events, so please plan accordingly.)
- NOTE: These busses may not currently be departing on NYC weekday mornings. Check ahead!
- You can catch NYC uptown or crosstown subways to the Port Authority Bus Terminal on 41st Street. From there, follow the bus directions above.
- Metro North trains run all day, seven days a week from Grand Central Terminal to Tarrytown, NY, which is twenty minutes by taxi/ride share across the Hudson River from Chestnut Ridge. The trip from NYC to Tarrytown takes 40 to 50 minutes (faster with express trains). For taxi service from Tarrytown, check out these options.
- New Jersey Transit runs the Pascack Valley line, which originates at Hoboken and terminates at Spring Valley. If coming from New York (Penn Station), you must transfer at Secaucus Junction. The trip takes 60-90 minutes depending on transfer times. Trains run seven days a week.
- Bergen Main Line Commuter Rail will take you from Penn Station to the Route 17 train station in Ramsey, NJ, which is a seven mile car ride from Sunbridge.
- The closest Amtrak stop north of Spring Valley is Croton Harmon, NY. From there you can take a Metro North train to Tarrytown (see above). If coming from the south, you may wish to stop at New York City, from which you have train and bus options.
NOTE: If flying into the New York area, we strongly recommend you choose an airline that brings you to Newark Liberty International Airport, as transportation to Sunbridge from LaGuardia or JFK airports is much more complicated and expensive to arrange.
From Newark Airport by car
Exit airport and follow signs for I-95/NJ Turnpike North. When the highway splits take western exits, still heading north. Exit onto I-80 west towards Garden State Parkway. Exit onto Garden State Parkway north. Follow directions in By car from the south, above.
The Newark Liberty Airport Express bus service takes you to the Port Authority Terminal on 41st Street in New York City. See By bus from New York City, above.
By car service
The following local residents provide door-to-door service to the nearby airports and may also be available to provide local taxi service. Call or email for prices and availability:
Brigida Baldszun: 845-729-0076/ [email protected]
Beth Generalli: 845-220-7923/845-425-6818/ [email protected]
Ana Lipkowitz: 914-705-3021/[email protected]
From Pennsylvania Station or Grand Central Station
Catch an uptown or crosstown subway to the Port Authority Bus Terminal on 41st Street. From there, follow the directions in the first paragraph above for taking a CoachUSA bus. There are also Metro North commuter trains to Tarrytown, twenty minutes by taxi across the Hudson River from Spring Valley, leaving from Grand Central Terminal. The closest Amtrak stop to Spring Valley is Croton Harmon, about 45 minutes away.
From Westchester County Airport
Take the Route 12 bus from the airport to White Plains transit center and then switch to the Hudson Link Bus from the White Plains transit center to either the Nanuet or Monsey Park & Ride. From there, you will have to take a short cab ride (7 minutes) to our campus. Alternatively, you can take a taxi (County Trip Service at 855-783-8566 and Yorkie’s Limo at 914-707-2345 have good reviews), ride share service, or reach out to someone in our community who provides airport transportation by car (see names, above).
Taxis are usually waiting at the Spring Valley bus/train station and can be hired on the spot. If coming in late at night, or to another location, you may wish to arrange for a pickup ahead of time. A few options, chosen at random, are: King Car Service—845-405-6305, Fast Taxi Service—845-356-7878, Reliable Rides—845-406-2329. You may also wish to hire a ride share service. For names of local residents who provide door-to-door service to the nearby airports, and who may also be available to provide local taxi service, see By car service, above.
Click here for a map of the Threefold Community.