For educators, parents, and caregivers of infants and toddlers
Birth to three is a critical period of child development. During this time, children experience extraordinary change and growth as they learn to navigate relationships with parents, family, and the world beyond. Adults have a special responsibility to properly and consciously support young children during this period, with a careful and kind approach that understands and values this time of life.
Dr. Emmi Pikler, a pediatrician who worked in Budapest during the mid-20th century, developed a groundbreaking approach to early childhood care and education. Her approach, widely practiced and recognized as an exemplar of high quality caregiving, emphasizes the importance of children’s autonomous play and movement and of the respectful caregiving in the development of young children’s personalities.
Applying Emmi Pikler’s main principles, as well as insights from Waldorf Education, participants in this workshop will deepen their skills and knowledge to provide peaceful and respectful care to very young children.
Topics covered include:
- The sequence of natural motor development
- The importance of self-initiated free play
- Choreography of care – the dance of cooperative caregiving
- How to support secure relationships between adults and infants
- Creating an unhurried rhythm of the day
- The inner work of the caregiver
This interactive workshop will include lecture, discussion, hands-on practice, video footage, and experiential activities.
Participants will leave with a basic theoretical foundation, as well as practical skills to care for very young children.
Anna Ruth Myers, founder of The Nurtured Child in NYC, is an infant development specialist with over 15 years of experience supporting families and children and. As a certified doula, childbirth, and breastfeeding educator, she has supported over 100 families through the pregnancy, birth, and postpartum periods. Anna Ruth is a certified RIE® Associate and highly trained Pikler® infant care specialist who has completed multiple trainings at the Pikler Institute® in Budapest. In addition to her diploma in Waldorf Early Childhood Education from Sunbridge, Anna Ruth holds 0-3 and 3-6 teaching diplomas from the American Montessori Society, a diploma from The Child in the First Three Years training course at Sophia’s Hearth Family Center, and an MA in human development with a specialization in early childhood development, and has completed study groups in the Reggio Emilia approach to early childhood education.
Friday, June 26: 6:30-7pm registration. Class runs from 7pm-9pm
Saturday, June 27: Classes run from 9am-5:30pm, with time for breaks and lunch.
Sunday, June 28: Classes run from 9am-1pm, with mid-morning break.
$360 includes all materials and non-refundable $30 registration fee.
Discount Options (Options 1-3 may not be combined)
1. Volume Discounts for Schools
- If a school sends between 2-4 attendees, that school’s invoice will reflect an overall 20% discount.
- If a school sends 5 or more attendees, that school’s invoice will reflect an overall 30% discount.
These discounts do not apply to Waldorf Weekend registrations, as all Waldorf Weekend registrants receive a regular $85 discounted rate if that Waldorf Weekend registration is an add-on to another course.
Qualifying for a volume discount is a two-step process:
- Step One: Schools should submit a volume discount form, listing all teachers/staffers the school intends to pay for and the title/s of their chosen course/s and/or workshop/s.
- Step Two: Each teacher/staffer listed on the volume discount form completes an individual registration form. Teachers/staffers who do not complete this final step of submitting an individual registration form are not considered registered.
Schools will be invoiced in late July, based on actual attendance. A non-refundable fee—as specified on the registration form—applies to any canceled registration.
2. Combined Offerings
- 20% discounts on subsequent registrations (of equal or lesser value) will automatically appear on your registration form when you register for more than one course and/or workshop. (Exception: Waldorf Weekend, which offers an $85 discount when selected as a subsequent registration.)
3. Sunbridge Family
- Current Sunbridge program students receive a 50% discount on 1 or more registrations.
- Sunbridge program alumni receive a 15% discount on 1 or more registrations.
Discount instructions will appear on your registration form after you answer questions about your Sunbridge background in the Participant Profile section. Accounts must be in good standing.
4. Canadian Dollars
- Payments made in CAD will receive a 25% discount off the full price in US dollars. (Instructions will pop up on your registration form when you indicate you are paying in Canadian currency.)
- This discount will be applied after any other applicable discount is made.
Please contact Barbara Vitale, admissions and summer coordinator, at email@example.com or 845-425-0055 x20