This course is being taught in-person on the Sunbridge campus. For those who would prefer attending Introduction to Waldorf Early Childhood Education remotely, a Zoom version will be offered June 19-24 as part of Summer Series 2022: Live From Home! Details on that offering here.
Open to everyone, including current and prospective early childhood educators, parents, grandparents, and caregivers.
Join us for a wondrous journey! In this comprehensive course, you’ll explore the essential elements of Waldorf early childhood education. Through the guidance of highly experienced Waldorf early childhood educators you’ll delve into child development; learn about rhythms, transitions, and the cycle of the year; explore the importance of play; examine the inner development of the teacher; experience circle time activities, lessons in handwork, art, and movement, and the essentials of a morning in a Waldorf early childhood setting; and develop a true practical understanding of Waldorf early childhood education. A perennial Sunbridge summer favorite, this rich and extensive course has launched many early childhood careers.
Lisa Miccio teaches kindergarten at The Waldorf School of Garden City. She also chairs her school’s DEIJ committee and sits on the Sunbridge Board of Trustees. Prior to joining the Garden City faculty in 2017, Lisa was on the faculty of Green Meadow Waldorf School for a dozen years. At Green Meadow, she taught kindergarten and parent and child classes, served as a co-chair of the early childhood section, director of early childhood admissions and family programs, and was a member of the Collegium, the Collegium Committee, and the Board of Trustees. Lisa’s teaching experience also includes working at Mountain Laurel Waldorf School, Dayspring Community School, and, during her 2016-17 sabbatical, teaching and mentoring in the Kathmandu (Nepal) Waldorf Kindergarten. She holds a BA in English from the College of Charleston, an MS in Elementary Education from CW Post, Long Island University, and an MS in Waldorf Education from Sunbridge College.
Meggan Gill became Sunbridge’s director of education and organizational culture in 2021 and is also a member of the Sunbridge teacher education faculty. A specialist in diversity, equity, and inclusion, she is also a trained Waldorf early childhood educator and currently sits on the WECAN IDEA committee. Meggan’s teaching experience includes most recently serving as lead toddler teacher at City of Lakes Waldorf School and, from 2009 to 2020, serving on the faculty of the Brooklyn Waldorf School where she led parent-and-child and kindergarten classes and was active on the Faculty Council. Prior to joining BWS, Meggan taught kindergarten at the Olympia Waldorf School and parent-and-child and nursery classes at the New Amsterdam School. Meggan earned her undergraduate degree in health sciences from The Evergreen State College and her certificate in Waldorf early childhood education from Sunbridge.
Motria Shuhan is the founder/director of Acorn Waldorf School, a full WECAN member in Accord, NY, where she serves as lead teacher in the Oaks Mixed Age Kindergarten. Prior to Founding AWS, she spent nine formative years at the Mountain Laurel Waldorf School, working in the nursery and kindergarten and serving as pedagogical chair for three years. Motria also serves as a mentor and educator in Sunbridge’s Early Childhood Teacher Education program. With a special interest in the art of puppetry, Motria has staged shows for conferences, festivals, and other community events. She completed a three-year Advanced Therapeutic Course for Early Childhood Educators in Denver and her Waldorf Early Childhood training at Sunbridge College.
Participants who took this course previously had this to say:
- The Intro to EC course exceeded my expectations.
- An amazing mix of hands-on experience, interactive group work, and lecture content.
- It was well structured, the faculty was exceptional and held each class with knowledge, joy and humor.
- Amazing. This is one of the best courses I’ve taken in my life.
- I am beyond grateful.
- Not only am I walking away with tools in my pocket, but with a growth and awareness in myself that I was not expecting.
- Lisa is wonderful. I have never met a teacher who in five days would be able to change a group of strangers in such a profound way.
- Meggan’s class was so helpful and insightful. There were so many things about circle time that I didn’t fully understand and this course really helped me learn. I really appreciate the openness, humor and warmth that she brings to the class.
- I really enjoyed Motria’s way of sharing information, her patience and fluid way of moving through topics. It is clear that she is very passionate about her work and enjoys sharing that with others.
- The class was a fun mix of lecture and experiential learning.
- I found the topics engaging, loved the puppetry and am thankful for the library of music!
- I really enjoyed attending lectures and the articles that were provided for homework. It was great to dive right in and begin learning more about Waldorf EC. I found everyone to be very passionate and present in the program. I found that I got something out of every class.
- The entire course was so nourishing and fulfilling. It gave me more than I ever expected. I would suggest this course to all teachers and parents interested in deepening their knowledge in Waldorf EC education. It was truly eye-opening.
- Overall it was an incredibly insightful and grounding experience that left me thirsty for more.
This course takes place July 24-29 on the Sunbridge campus.
Sunday evening: 6-6:30 check-in; 6:30-7 optional campus tour; first session starts promptly at 7:15 and ends at 9
Monday-Thursday: Classes begin by 8:30am and end by 6pm
Friday morning: Classes begin by 8:30am and end between 12-1pm
$920 includes all materials and a $60 non-refundable deposit.
- Volume Discount for schools sending 2 or more participants: $50 off per participant. Use discount code VOLUME.
- Combine and Save Discount: 20% off any additional Sunbridge summer course an individual registers for, of equal or lesser value. If you are also registering separately for one of our Summer Series 2022: Live From Home! courses, contact us to receive your “Combine and Save” discount.
- Family Discounts: 50% off for currently-enrolled Sunbridge program students and 25% off for Sunbridge program graduates. Accounts must be in good standing. Use discount code that appears on your registration form when you answer questions about your background.
- CAD discount: 25% off for payments made in Canadian dollarsOnly the CAD discount may be combined with another; otherwise, only one discount may be applied.
Please contact Barbara Vitale, admissions and summer coordinator, at [email protected] or 845-425-0055 x20
Sunbridge reserves the right to make faculty substitutions when necessary. See registration form for refund policy.