For Waldorf teachers of all levels
Behind every child stands a parent… or two, or three, or four! As teachers we tend to focus on our students, sometimes forgetting the fact that our relationships with parents are every bit as important. In this workshop we will explore the different facets of the teacher-parent relationship; discuss successful ways of sharing with parents the wonderful, challenging task of guiding their child through childhood; and do some hands-on activities to strengthen our powers of observation and compassion.
Topics we will cover include:
- Navigating the (often tricky) parent/friend divide
- Running effective and rewarding parent evenings
- Creating an atmosphere of trust and collaboration
- Writing tactful, informative year-end reports
- Establishing guidelines for healthy communication
- Preventing and managing crises
Melissa Merkling is currently an educational support coordinator and extra lesson teacher at the Housatonic Valley Waldorf School in Newtown, Connecticut, the school she founded in 1989 and at which she has held virtually every position, including early childhood and grades teacher, administrator, enrollment director, and College and Board member. Melissa has attended and led anthroposophical classes and study groups for over twenty years. She currently serves as a pedagogical mentor for students in Sunbridge’s Waldorf Elementary Teacher Education program, and she is also a professional editor and proofreader. Melissa attended NYC’s Rudolf Steiner School from kindergarten through 12th grade, studied art at Bennington College, and earned a certificate in Waldorf early childhood education from Sunbridge College.
Students who previously took this workshop with Melissa had this to say:
~ It was great to hear from a teacher with so much experience and wisdom. She gave us a lot of tools and ideas on how to work with parents. What a gift!
~ The content was well delivered. Melissa was well prepared and added artistic activities, which helped the mood of the heavy topics but also the quality of the group dynamic.
~ I enjoyed the practical nature of the topic, the realistic and artistic quality of instruction, and the excellent resources provided.
~ Melissa was very prepared and had many great tips. She was funny, fun, and very wise. She facilitated very well.
~ Excellent balance of information and experiential activities.
Your workshop also includes singing with Patti Regan of Great Barrington Rudolf Steiner School.
Friday, July 19: Check-in registration takes place 6:30-7pm. First class runs 7-9pm.
Saturday, July 20: Classes begin at 9am and run through 5:30, with time for lunch and short mid-morning and mid-afternoon breaks.
Sunday, July 21: Classes begin at 9am and end at 1pm, with a mid-morning break.
$360 includes all materials and non-refundable $30 registration fee
Three Discount Options (Choose One! Discounts may not be combined.)
1. Friends and Family (Personal Discount): Currently enrolled Sunbridge program students receive a 30% discount and Sunbridge program graduates receive a 15% discount off one or more registrations. Discount instructions will appear on your registration form after you answer questions about your Sunbridge background in the Participant Profile section. Accounts must be in good standing.
2. Take Two and Save (Personal Discount): 10% discounts on subsequent registrations (of equal or lesser value) will automatically appear on your registration form when selecting more than one title. (Exception: Waldorf Weekend, which offers an $85 discount when selected as a subsequent registration.)
3. Send More/Save More (School Discount): Schools paying for five or more registrations will receive discounts in increasing amounts.
Make 5 registrations, receive 5% off the total cost
Make 6 registrations, receive 6% off the total cost
Make 7 registrations, receive 7% off the total cost
Make 8 registrations, receive 8% off the total cost
Make 9 registrations, receive 9% off the total cost
Make 10 or more registrations, receive 10% off the total cost
NOTE: When choosing this option, please be sure to check off “Invoice my School” on your registration form. To qualify for the Send More/Save More discount, registrations must be made by July 14.
Please contact our summer office at email@example.com or 845-425-0055 x20
Sunbridge reserves the right to make faculty substitutions when necessary. See registration form for refund policy.