For Waldorf teachers and homeschool parents
Explore the genius of the Waldorf approach to literacy as together we draw on current resources and practices to inform your teaching. You’ll discover ways to integrate treasures from Orton-Gillingham and Project Read into your Waldorf classroom while learning practical, effective, and imaginative techniques for teaching writing and reading in the early grades.
Incorporating speech, spelling, writing, and reading, this course covers:
- Moving from oral to written tradition
- Learning a structured, yet flexible, way to teach reading skills
- Decoding and encoding the English language through a linguistic understanding
- Using a multi-sensory approach for all
- Developing scope and sequence of a literacy curriculum
- Working with parents on literacy questions
In addition to grades 1-3 class teachers, Waldorf remedial and reading specialists, and homeschool parents working with a Waldorf curriculum, those who would also benefit from the information imparted in this course include Waldorf kindergarten teachers, upper grades class teachers, world language teachers, and pedagogical and faculty chairs. PLEASE NOTE: This is not an introductory course. Participants should have Waldorf training and/or experience as a Waldorf class teacher; exceptions will be made at the instructor’s discretion.
Margot Amrine teaches at the Rudolf Steiner School of Ann Arbor, where she has been a member of the faculty since 1989 and has shepherded several lower school classes. She has also chaired her college of teachers and is a founding teacher of the high school, where she currently teaches history and humanities. A teacher of literacy skills to children from preschool to grade 12 since 1976, Margot was the director of the Waldorf Institute of Southeastern Michigan and mentors Waldorf teachers in the midwest area. She holds a BMA in music and art history from the University of Michigan School of Music and has been a member of the Anthroposophical Society since 1981. Margot has a particular interest in language arts and in working with parents, and enjoys traveling and playing the cello.
Artistic faculty TBA
Students who took this workshop previously with Margot had this to say:
~ Margot is a great presenter with wonderful knowledge to share.
~ A master of masters.
~ She knows everything about teaching grammar/writing/reading.
~ Margot had a complete grasp on the subject and had a breadth of experience to share. She made good time for questions and created an engaging workshop.
~ Ms. Amrine is a wonderful teacher and she inspires confidence to try new things.
~ Margot is an excellent teacher of teachers. She is knowledgeable, encouraging and funny!
~ The highlight was definitely the knowledge and energy of the instructor. The clean picture of Language Arts instruction was so helpful, and the way the instructors work together mainstream elements with Waldorf pedagogy was fantastic.
~ The entire course was excellent and just right. The topics covered, time allotted and Margot’s ability to stay on track (while also including levity here and there) were right on and what I needed!
~ This was likely the most impactful educational experience I’ve had as an adult.
~ I am going home brim full of ideas and excitement for the coming year.
Friday, June 28: Check-in registration takes place 6:30-7pm. Orientation and your first class runs 7-9pm.
Saturday, June 29: Classes begin at 9am and run through 5:30, with time for lunch and short mid-morning and mid-afternoon breaks.
Sunday, June 30: Classes begin at 9am and end at 1pm, with a mid-morning break.
$360 includes all materials and non-refundable $30 registration fee
Three Discount Options (Choose One! Discounts may not be combined.)
1. Friends and Family (Personal Discount): Currently enrolled Sunbridge program students receive a 30% discount and Sunbridge program graduates receive a 15% discount off one or more registrations. Discount instructions will appear on your registration form after you answer questions about your Sunbridge background in the Participant Profile section. Accounts must be in good standing.
2. Take Two and Save (Personal Discount): 10% discounts on subsequent registrations (of equal or lesser value) will automatically appear on your registration form when selecting more than one title. (Exception: Waldorf Weekend, which offers an $85 discount when selected as a subsequent registration.)
3. Send More/Save More (School Discount): Schools paying for five or more registrations will receive discounts in increasing amounts.
Make 5 registrations, receive 5% off the total cost
Make 6 registrations, receive 6% off the total cost
Make 7 registrations, receive 7% off the total cost
Make 8 registrations, receive 8% off the total cost
Make 9 registrations, receive 9% off the total cost
Make 10 or more registrations, receive 10% off the total cost
NOTE: When choosing this option, please be sure to check off “Invoice my School” on your registration form. To qualify for the Send More/Save More discount, registrations must be made by July 14.
Please contact our summer office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 845-425-0055 x20
Sunbridge reserves the right to make faculty substitutions when necessary. See registration form for refund policy.